Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Location: - Silverthorne CO Miles = 104, Ave MPH = 12.1 Cum. Miles = 1884

Saturday August 16


Quote of the Day: "It's all about finding the 'smooth' ".

This was the temperature in Walden at 7am. They say in the next 10 days the forms of precipitation will start to include snow again: 


Rick (my host in Walden) and I had breakfast at the Moose Creek Cafe. Rick advised me on an alternate route to get to the next town that would shave 10 miles off of the distance. Feeling like I needed to make up some time I took that route (right on rt. 14 out of Walden and then left on rt. 40 into Kremmling) which proved to be a good choice - thanks Rick:


This is Karen. She reports that this is the overall second fastest outhouse in Jackson county and that it took first in the women's division:


A few miles out of Walden I began to see active oil wells:


A new oil well being drilled with the super large bales of hay adjacent:


And then across the road this view:


Stopped for a lunch break with a beautiful valley view as a backdrop:


Getting "cute" with the camera to capture the haying being done in the valley while I ate lunch:


Unusual peak in the distance:


Up a little closer:


Another pass completed - This one was so gradual that it had no "Freebirds":


Lake Wolford going into Kremmling:


Water levels are low as indicated by the rings on the shore:


This is Kenyon a Vet that is walking across America just to see what it is all  about. He started in New Jersey and will end in San Fransisco:


He is on Facebook if you would like to get an account of his journey (www.facebook.com/kenyonscoasttocoastwalk). Kenyon is a very cool guy that I could have spent hours talking with:


Traffic is extreme with vacationers in this part of Colorado and the speed limit is 65mph. It is either ride the white line or ride in the gravel and yes it is all about "finding the smooth" - that is the area of the road that provides the least rolling resistance which is usually the white line on these chip seal roads. However it is too dangerous to ride the white line in these high traffic conditions. The constant view in the rear view mirror with almost non-existent shoulders on the road:


Kremmling chainsaw art:


And for those who like mushrooms:


After getting powered up with some Chinese food in Kremmling I took off for Silverthorne. The big event in Kremmling that evening was the demolition derby at the fairgrounds. I was tempted to stay but felt I needed to push on and wanted to take advantage of what I hoped would be a low traffic evening. I thought that it being Saturday night that all the weekenders would be at their campsites. Wow was I wrong - the traffic got really scary along here. This is Lake Heeney:



Sunset at other end of Lake Heeney:




I arrived in Silverthorne at about 10 pm and found a motel. I was so excited to find a place with both a sauna and a hot tub but it closed at 10pm so it was off to an Irish Pub for corned beef and cabbage. Some of the people at the pub had found this stone at one of the stops they made on their motorcycle ride that day:



Redeemable for a hand made knife:


Well tomorrow it is off to conquer Hoosier Pass the highest peak on the trip at 11,452 feet.

It's time folks please.......
  
And finally please remember the cause -   soldiersbestfriend.org  I will go into this in more detail and perhaps some level of haranguing later on, but for now here is the link .... and an additional link for donation   SoldiersBestFriend - Donate Please :):)   Oh and I would be a lot more comfortable if you use the "honorarium" option vs the "memoriam" option - you'll understand when you click on the link:):).   

As you donate please enter my name in the "In Honor of Spot" so the folks at SBF can tally the results to encourage me and let me know WE are getting something done TOGETHER. I recognize we are really trying to honor the Vets but this is the only way SBF can tally the results of this drive (tour).





No comments:

Post a Comment