Monday, August 11, 2014

Location: - Dubois WY Miles = 69, Ave MPH = 12.3 Cum. Miles = 1561

Sunday August 10

Quote the Day: "Going into thin air".

So there wasn't any wildlife in Yellowstone but that doesn't preclude wildlife in the restaurant at Colter Bay.

They have a very nice buffet breakfast and the fastest Internet upload speeds I have ever experienced anywhere - blazingly fast - I don't know how they do it out here so far from  "civilization".




Other people at the restaurant madly making use of the fast Internet speeds. 3 of 5 deeply into their phones:


The next few shots are of Colter Bay:






This is the challenge for today - Colter Bay to Dubois with a 2500 foot climb thrown in up to almost 9700 feet. I think this may be the thinnest air I have ever been in and certainly in the last 45 years and at exercise activity level. By the way I highly recommend the book "Into Thin Air" regarding the ill fated climb up Mt Everest - It truly is difficult to put down!!!!


1/8 of the way up the Togwotee Pass


About 1/2 way up the pass I caught up Sly and Nate (Sly on left). This was a selfie we took at one of the false crests in this ascent. We still had about 3 miles to go:



Just some flowers up there:


One of the amazing views from the peak:


This is the sign  that tells drivers going the opposite way about the climb we just made and the descent they will make. This was a 9.3 Freebird climb and lasted 17 miles. One reason it wasn't so bad was that the Wyoming road shoulders are very smooth so it reduces rolling resistance:


View on our descent:



We stopped at this restaurant on the way down with the plan to just get water:


The very personable waitress Nicki convinced us to stay for dinner which was a very good choice - great beef brisket:


I found out why Nicki was so charming - turns out she is from Ellicottville NY not very far from where I grew up. She graduated in Springville NY where we once had a farm:


View from the restaurant:


View closer to Dubois:


And just across the road this view:


Nate and Sly had arranged to stay at this church which was open to us when we arrived - St Thomas Episcopal:


A new experience for me - showering at the local laundry mat. 50 cents per minute so I didn't shave in there:):)



Nate and Sly have a different route in mind which we will talk over at breakfast.

It's time folks please.......
  
And finally please remember the cause -   soldiersbestfriend.org  I will go into this in more detail and perhaps some level of haranguing later on, but for now here is the link .... and an additional link for donation   SoldiersBestFriend - Donate Please :):)   Oh and I would be a lot more comfortable if you use the "honorarium" option vs the "memoriam" option - you'll understand when you click on the link:):).   

As you donate please enter my name in the "In Honor of Spot" so the folks at SBF can tally the results to encourage me and let me know WE are getting something done TOGETHER. I recognize we are really trying to honor the Vets but this is the only way SBF can tally the results of this drive (tour).



  I will be inserting this call-to-action in all of my blogs so I hope you don't mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment