Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Location: - Garden City KS Miles = 75, Ave MPH = 14.2 Cum. Miles = 2388

Saturday August 23

Quote of the Day: "May your blessings bring blessing."

After a restful night at the Miles Court in Holly CO it was off to tackle Kansas:


These old building intrigue me as I wonder about the history of their use, the people over the years that occupied them, and their potential useful life now:


Another one - wonder what happened to the building that once abutted it:


Up one minute......


.... and down the next. The winds are fierce out here. Those Donkey Boxxes can take a beating:


I think I found the thorns that Mary Lou and Les from Portland warned us about. Thought I would see them in Wyoming but here they are in Kansas. These stick like crazy and love to attack the sidewall of the tire eventually causing a leak. When I wheeled the bike back out to the pavement I remembered Les' admonition to inspect the tires and make sure that all of them are removed before riding. Ouch!!

Are these them Les?


A 7000 acre dairy/cheese farm - Hilmar Cheese Company:


Difficult to portray how large these buildings are:


A 3x5 foot sign for such a huge enterprise:


Frequently top soil dust storms envelop the road ahead. This is accompanied by a fertilizer smell. Just take a deep breath and pedal on through. This particular one is fairly mild:


A very large Tyson processing plant coming into Garden City:


I stopped on my way into Garden City to make use of a bench in the shade of this cemetery:


Woman mourning:


In Colorado I started to see these trash receptacles which look very commercial in front of normal homes and beautiful ranches. Seems strange as they don't leave the curb or the road and present poorly:


Garden Valley Church invited me to stay in the rec room wing of their gymnasium (Yes!! a shower!!) building. This room was set up as a replica of a diner:


This is Steve of Garden Valley - very nice and interested in the initiative for Soldiers Best Friend. He and an associate came back in the morning and sent me off in the morning with a prayer for safety and the Quote of the Day which I didn't write down and had to paraphrase:


Thank you Steve for the very comfortable accommodations and your warm fellowship.


About Soldiers Best Friend ..... If you have been following along you already know that I am trying to collect donations for the charity called Soldiers Best Friend. This is a charity that provides service dogs to Vets that are suffering from PTSD. These dogs can literally be life savers for these men and women.

My blog averages approximately 175 hits per day. I think that suggests folks are interested in the trip and hopefully are being informed and entertained. I am at the half-way point of the trip at 2151 miles. I consider this my job for the summer of 2014. I am putting in the the "blood, sweat, and gears" to steal a phrase - so would you consider a donation to this very worthy cause?

I've done the math for you .... My entire trip is going to be approximately 4200 miles long. Do you think you could donate $.006 per mile (like about slightly more than 1/2 cent per mile)?? If so then that would be a $25 dollar donation to SBF. Or better yet could you afford to donate at $.012 per mile (1.2 cents per mile) then that would be about a $50 donation. And so on ....  give what you can - I know this sounds like a Nation Public Radio fund drive but come on - what a worthy cause!!

Please follow the link below to donate and include my name - just "Neil" will do or "Neal" if you like that spelling better:):)



It's time folks please.......
  
And finally please remember the cause -   soldiersbestfriend.org  I will go into this in more detail and perhaps some level of haranguing later on, but for now here is the link .... and an additional link for donation   SoldiersBestFriend - Donate Please :):)   Oh and I would be a lot more comfortable if you use the "honorarium" option vs the "memoriam" option - you'll understand when you click on the link:):).   

As you donate please enter my name in the "In Honor of Spot" so the folks at SBF can tally the results to encourage me and let me know WE are getting something done TOGETHER. I recognize we are really trying to honor the Vets but this is the only way SBF can tally the results of this drive (tour).





No comments:

Post a Comment