Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Location: - Jeffery City WY Miles = 61, Ave MPH = 12.3 Cum. Miles = 1700

Tuesday August 12

Quote of the Day:  "When you're told what to expect and cast an image in your mind somehow reality rarely lines up".

I waited for Sly and Nate to have their interview but finally gave up around 11:00 and rolled into Lander to grocery shop, get lunch, and visit the local bike shop. I found Lander to be a nice town and would have to agree with the designation of "3rd best small town in  the USA".

At 12:30 I launched for Jeffery City and met Beau outside the bike shop as I mounted up.  Beau is riding the Adventure Cycling Continental Divide route that involves 92% dirt roads. Beau was smoking a cigarette when I met him - go figure:):)




Very little variation in the scenery all the way to Jeffery City:





A guy Beau rode with on the way to Jeffery City:


Another westbounder we met he already had 100 miles in and that with 4 flat tires:


The first stop in Jeffery City was at Byron's pottery shop. Byron's reputation precedes him and several people told us to look him up.


While we were talking a man came up to Byron and asked him where he could get some diesel fuel as he had run out with his wife and children. Byron loaned the man his truck to drive 20 miles one way to get fuel. This is Beau in earnest discussion:


Byron offers us his trailer for the night - we accept:


This is Butch our waiter and chef for the night at the Split Rock Bar and Cafe - great chicken fried steak and salad. We asked Butch for a second salad and he asked us if he could use the same bowls without washing them he gave us a dollar discount on our bill. Now that's funny I don't care who you are. Thank you Butch for taking such good care of us:


Butch, Byron, and Neal:


We heard that two riders had left at 1pm from Lander and were expected to be to Jeffery City by 8:30pm. My guess was that this was Nate and Sly. At 10:00pm no one had arrived so perhaps they stopped at Sweetwater Junction.  


I am hoping get a tour of this ghost town tomorrow before we leave. It is a creepy industrial wasteland - somehow very fascinating. We were told what to expect by many regarding the desolation of Jeffery City but I just never could imagine .....

Well it's off to the travel trailer at Byron's place. Byron does have some interesting pottery - there is a plate I would like to buy but I can't carry it with me and shipping it from here would be kind of sketchy.


It's time folks please.......
  
And finally please remember the cause -   soldiersbestfriend.org  I will go into this in more detail and perhaps some level of haranguing later on, but for now here is the link .... and an additional link for donation   SoldiersBestFriend - Donate Please :):)   Oh and I would be a lot more comfortable if you use the "honorarium" option vs the "memoriam" option - you'll understand when you click on the link:):).   

As you donate please enter my name in the "In Honor of Spot" so the folks at SBF can tally the results to encourage me and let me know WE are getting something done TOGETHER. I recognize we are really trying to honor the Vets but this is the only way SBF can tally the results of this drive (tour).



  I will be inserting this call-to-action in all of my blogs so I hope you don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment