Friday, August 29, 2014

Location: - Coffeyville KS Miles = 101, Ave MPH = 12.7 Cum. Miles = 2739

Wednesday  August 27

Quote of the Day:  "Who said Kansas was flat?"


This is one of the stately homes in Arkansas City (pronounced "Are Kansas") also called Ark City. While here I was interviewed by the local paper. I am pleased with the high number of small towns that have newspapers that are still printing at least 5 days per week.


This is Steve who stopped to talked to me as I came out of Ark City and made a donation to Soldier's Best Friend. Steve made a cross country trip on a bicycle when he was younger so he has an idea what is up. Thanks for stopping Steve:



A pause to eat a nectarine and read a bit of history:


It ain't flat folks:








I like the "bones" of this farm and would love to restore it:



This is Jon who I met a mile down the road and he told me of the history of the farm. The farm is on 400 acres and includes the "valley of the big bucks" which is a valley that hasn't been hunted in a long time:


 This Donald the chef at the Hilltop Restaurant in Cedar Vale. Donald is a Vet and came to the area from St Louis to work with the vets in the area. Donald - thanks for dinner!!


The Hilltop has a daily saying:


It's kind of hard to see it but as I was to get back on the bike and head to Coffeyville 47 miles down the road, the thermometer was at 100F and that was in the shade:


I made a water stop at Jolene's house and Tom came up on his bike. He invited me to "come down to his place and have a few" but I pressed on:


When I finally reached Coffeeville I showed Kristina the photo of the sub built by Daisy in Harper - she would not be outdone:






About Soldiers Best Friend ..... If you have been following along you already know that I am trying to collect donations for the charity called Soldiers Best Friend. This is a charity that provides service dogs to Vets that are suffering from PTSD. These dogs can literally be life savers for these men and women.

My blog averages approximately 175 hits per day. I think that suggests folks are interested in the trip and hopefully are being informed and entertained. I am at the half-way point of the trip at 2151 miles. I consider this my job for the summer of 2014. I am putting in the the "blood, sweat, and gears" to steal a phrase - so would you consider a donation to this very worthy cause?

I've done the math for you .... My entire trip is going to be approximately 4200 miles long. Do you think you could donate $.006 per mile (like about slightly more than 1/2 cent per mile)?? If so then that would be a $25 dollar donation to SBF. Or better yet could you afford to donate at $.012 per mile (1.2 cents per mile) then that would be about a $50 donation. And so on ....  give what you can - I know this sounds like a Nation Public Radio fund drive but come on - what a worthy cause!!

Please follow the link below to donate and include my name - just "Neil" will do or "Neal" if you like that spelling better:):)


It's time folks please.......
  
And finally please remember the cause -   soldiersbestfriend.org  I will go into this in more detail and perhaps some level of haranguing later on, but for now here is the link .... and an additional link for donation   SoldiersBestFriend - Donate Please :):)   Oh and I would be a lot more comfortable if you use the "honorarium" option vs the "memoriam" option - you'll understand when you click on the link:):).   

As you donate please enter my name in the "In Honor of Spot" so the folks at SBF can tally the results to encourage me and let me know WE are getting something done TOGETHER. I recognize we are really trying to honor the Vets but this is the only way SBF can tally the results of this drive (tour).

No comments:

Post a Comment