Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Location: - Murfreesboro TN Miles = 94, Ave MPH = 13.8 Cum. Miles = 3396

Friday September  5


Quote of the Day: "Just get up in the saddle and ride".

Today was a lesson in mental as well as physical endurance. I left Hurricane Mills with the intension of taking I40 up to as close to Nashville as possible. About 40 miles up the road I came to route 840 which had signs to Franklin and Murfreesboro. It wasn't on my map and it was at this point I discovered that I was operating off of a 2010 map.

I decided to take 840 and go another 30 miles to Franklin which would have put me close Nashville for interviews the next day. What I didn't understand was that due to the newness of the road there were no services available - no food, water or hotels. The signs to Franklin indicated it was a long way off so I continued on to Murfreesboro.  At one point I saw a sign for a Subway but when I took the exit the sign indicated it was 2.4 miles off of rt 840. Again I decided to keep going and eventually arrived in Murfreesboro fairly dehydrated and checked into a hotel.
This is John and Christy the nice couple at the Chicago Pizza that was the only place I could find open at 11:30pm.





Donations update:  Currently at $685

About Soldiers Best Friend ..... If you have been following along you already know that I am trying to collect donations for the charity called Soldiers Best Friend. This is a charity that provides service dogs to Vets that are suffering from PTSD. These dogs can literally be life savers for these men and women.

My blog averages approximately 175 hits per day. I think that suggests folks are interested in the trip and hopefully are being informed and entertained. I am at the 3/4 point of the trip at 3300 miles. I consider this my job for the summer of 2014. I am putting in the the "blood, sweat, and gears" to steal a phrase - so would you consider a donation to this very worthy cause?

I've done the math for you .... My entire trip is going to be approximately 4200 miles long. Do you think you could donate $.006 per mile (like about slightly more than 1/2 cent per mile)?? If so then that would be a $25 dollar donation to SBF. Or better yet could you afford to donate at $.012 per mile (1.2 cents per mile) then that would be about a $50 donation. And so on ....  give what you can - I know this sounds like a Nation Public Radio fund drive but come on - what a worthy cause!!

Please follow the link below to donate and include my name - just "Neil" will do or "Neal" if you like that spelling better:):)


It's time folks please.......
  
And finally please remember the cause -   soldiersbestfriend.org  I will go into this in more detail and perhaps some level of haranguing later on, but for now here is the link .... and an additional link for donation   SoldiersBestFriend - Donate Please :):)   Oh and I would be a lot more comfortable if you use the "honorarium" option vs the "memoriam" option - you'll understand when you click on the link:):).   

As you donate please enter my name in the "In Honor of Spot" so the folks at SBF can tally the results to encourage me and let me know WE are getting something done TOGETHER. I recognize we are really trying to honor the Vets but this is the only way SBF can tally the results of this drive (tour).

No comments:

Post a Comment