Friday, September 5, 2014

Location: - Mansfield MO Miles = 60, Ave MPH = 11.7 Cum. Miles = 2939

Sunday August 31

Quote of the Day: "Thou shalt not drink of the water carried by another man".

Link to interview done in Springfield > KOLR - Springfield

These kayaks appear to be on a river but actually is Springfield Lake:



It was very hot today both in actual temperature and in humidity. One can get a bit delirious in these conditions - I actually thought I saw an Amish buggy in front of me. I now have another source of road debris to dodge. Also the horses shoes chew up the center strip of the lane. All in all the road conditions are very good on route 60:


After getting a late start due to the interview I decided to look for a place to stay in Mansfield. I found out that this is the oldest bank in Missouri and still family owned:


I stayed at the Weaver Inn  which was named after the previous owner - most excellent!!!!


Style of rooms


Dining area:


This is Mike and Connie the owners of the Weaver Inn. This "retired" couple owns and manages 4 lumber companies, 3 Subway Shops, a 500 acre farm and this B&B. Thank you Mike and Connie for your wonderful hospitality and very nice donation to Soldiers Best Friend:


Mansfield is the town where Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote her Little House on the Prairie book series. This is the homestead:


This is the stone home that Laura's daughter who was also a successful writer built for her parents. They chose never to live there and remained in the white house:


As Mike was touring me around the area I mentioned that I would like to find a country church and restore and convert it into a home. Mike said "On I have one of those". This is the church that Mike and Connie purchased. Their daughter runs a florist shop at the one end of it:


They do wedding ceremonies for the local community:



Donations update:  Currently at $660

About Soldiers Best Friend ..... If you have been following along you already know that I am trying to collect donations for the charity called Soldiers Best Friend. This is a charity that provides service dogs to Vets that are suffering from PTSD. These dogs can literally be life savers for these men and women.

My blog averages approximately 175 hits per day. I think that suggests folks are interested in the trip and hopefully are being informed and entertained. I am at the half-way point of the trip at 2151 miles. I consider this my job for the summer of 2014. I am putting in the the "blood, sweat, and gears" to steal a phrase - so would you consider a donation to this very worthy cause?

I've done the math for you .... My entire trip is going to be approximately 4200 miles long. Do you think you could donate $.006 per mile (like about slightly more than 1/2 cent per mile)?? If so then that would be a $25 dollar donation to SBF. Or better yet could you afford to donate at $.012 per mile (1.2 cents per mile) then that would be about a $50 donation. And so on ....  give what you can - I know this sounds like a Nation Public Radio fund drive but come on - what a worthy cause!!

Please follow the link below to donate and include my name - just "Neil" will do or "Neal" if you like that spelling better:):)


It's time folks please.......
  
And finally please remember the cause -   soldiersbestfriend.org  I will go into this in more detail and perhaps some level of haranguing later on, but for now here is the link .... and an additional link for donation   SoldiersBestFriend - Donate Please :):)   Oh and I would be a lot more comfortable if you use the "honorarium" option vs the "memoriam" option - you'll understand when you click on the link:):).   

As you donate please enter my name in the "In Honor of Spot" so the folks at SBF can tally the results to encourage me and let me know WE are getting something done TOGETHER. I recognize we are really trying to honor the Vets but this is the only way SBF can tally the results of this drive (tour).

No comments:

Post a Comment