Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Location: - Charlotte NC Miles = 129, Ave MPH = 12.5 Cum. Miles = 3846

Thursday September 11

Quote of the Day: "I think I'm out of armadillo country."


Another interesting mailbox on the way from Easley to Greenville SC. I think Adventure Cycling should set up a repository for photos of unusual mailboxes:


This is the Greenville News where I stopped to talk to a reporter regarding SBF:


I thought that most newspapers were on the retreat but this one was fairly impressive - lots of personnel buzzing around. This was the waiting room that I sat in waiting for the reporter - seemed like from a different era of newspaper power and influence:


I arranged to meet the reporters from the two TV stations that interviewed me at Falls Park on the Reedy:


Dog playing in fountain at one of the entrances to Falls Park:


Walking bridge in the park:



FOX reporter on the bridge:


This is Laura a very sweet woman from Damascus VA and also an avid cyclist. Laura thank you for your donation to SBF:


Leaving Greenville I pushed on to Spartanburg:


Yes!!!! Back to Church's Chicken territory:


Two new friend's from Spartanburg expressing their appreciation - Hilton and David:


Wofford College where the Carolina Panthers practice - well not in this little lake so much but......


I was a "Krystal Hamburger Virgin" until I met Robin and Nancy at exit 96 of I85. They helped me "power-up" for the push on to Charlotte:


Ahh yes what was that being "out of armadillo country" thing all about?

One of the things that a distance cyclist needs to settle on getting used to, is the unfortunate reality of road kill. Out west it was one deer after another - sometimes seen and sometimes just smelled. Somewhere, I think it was in Missouri, the predominate roadkill became armadillos. Let me just say they seem bent on committing suicide and in my opinion they are the creepiest and foulest unfortunates to perish on the road. I'm glad to be out of armadillo country.

I apologise for not having blogged recently - I promise to get caught up asap.

A few important updates:

1)  THE TRADITIONAL WHEEL DIP IS ON AT FOLLY BEACH AND PARTY TO FOLLOW AT LOGGERHEADS BEACH GRILL.  This will be on Saturday the 27th. Justin Cross my son-in-law will be riding the last leg with me and we are aiming to wheel dip near The Tides Hotel at noon.

Loggerheads has a nice plan for a mix of party and fund raising which they are going to blast out to their 1400 customers on their mailing list on Thursday the 25th. If you wish to know the details use this link to get the info Loggerheads Mailing Info Sign-Up

Hope to see you there!!

2) The multiplier effect is real.... Lauren Thomas a teacher at Central High School in Chattanooga TN saw one of my TV interviews in Chattanooga. It would be somewhat of an understatement to say that Lauren got enthused regarding helping Vets with PTSD. She has her students ON FIRE raising money for Soldier's Best Friend and is now getting interviewed with her students also. Facebook friend Lauren if you want a blast of "positive".

Lauren and I have decided to take a run at getting on Ellen Degeneres to further high-light SBF. HERE'S HOW YOU CAN HELP -  If you have been following the blog and think there is enough funny and heart warming stuff that has happened to me on my trip then please take 5 minutes to tell Ellen's staff that at the following link
http://www.ellentv.com/be-on-the-show/10/  It is really easy to fill this out and we have been told that a barrage from different people helps - so please help. Just mention my ride for Soldier's Best Friend with my name (Neil Grehlinger) and add a liittle blurb of why you think it would make an interesting show. Also mention Lauren Thomas and her students as well.

Lauren being interviewed - note the SBF poster:


Lauren, students, and reporter:




Donations update:  Currently at $1600

About Soldiers Best Friend ..... If you have been following along you already know that I am trying to collect donations for the charity called Soldiers Best Friend. This is a charity that provides service dogs to Vets that are suffering from PTSD. These dogs can literally be life savers for these men and women.

My blog averages approximately 175 hits per day. I think that suggests folks are interested in the trip and hopefully are being informed and entertained. I am at the half-way point of the trip at 2151 miles. I consider this my job for the summer of 2014. I am putting in the the "blood, sweat, and gears" to steal a phrase - so would you consider a donation to this very worthy cause?

I've done the math for you .... My entire trip is going to be approximately 4200 miles long. Do you think you could donate $.006 per mile (like about slightly more than 1/2 cent per mile)?? If so then that would be a $25 dollar donation to SBF. Or better yet could you afford to donate at $.012 per mile (1.2 cents per mile) then that would be about a $50 donation. And so on ....  give what you can - I know this sounds like a Nation Public Radio fund drive but come on - what a worthy cause!!

Please follow the link below to donate and include my name - just "Neil" will do or "Neal" if you like that spelling better:):)



It's time folks please.......

As you donate please enter my name in the "In Honor of Spot" so the folks at SBF can tally the results to encourage me and let me know WE are getting something done TOGETHER. I recognize we are really trying to honor the Vets but this is the only way SBF can tally the results of this drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment